Take your first step to a healthier tomorrow
Sign Up Online
to learn more and see if you qualify
Here’s how it works…
Groups of up to 15 participants will attend 18 four-hour sessions over 9 weeks. Each session covers the following four elements:
Dr. Ornish’s 37 years of research has scientifically proven that the integrative lifestyle changes he recommends can:
- IMPROVE chronic conditions – such as heart disease, diabetes
and prostate cancer
- CHANGE gene expression, turning on health-promoting genes & turning off disease-promoting genes.
- LENGTHEN telomeres — the ends of chromosomes — which begins to reverse aging on a cellular level.
Join us for our next Open House every first & third Wednesday of the month from 5 – 7 PM, and every second & fourth Tuesday from 1 – 3 PM
‘Ekahi Ornish Lifesyle Medicine is centrally located at our comprehensive health care and prevention facility.
- Centrally located in Kaka’ako
- Validated Parking Garage
- Brand new, gorgeous facility
500 Ala Moana Blvd, Suite 6-D
Honolulu, HI 96813-4920
'Ekahi Health Center
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Dr. Ornish's Program for Reversing Heart Disease?
What are the elements of the Ornish Reversal Program?
The Ornish Reversal Program has four elements:
• Improved physical conditioning through low-impact aerobic exercise and strength training;
• Relaxation techniques to help cope with and manage stress;
• A low-fat, whole foods nutrition plan (less than 10% of daily calories from fat); and
• Social support to enable participants to deal with the emotional issues that contribute to or result from heart disease. Participants learn to use these tools during an intensive 9-week Program.
Following the initial 9-week program, participants will join the Ornish Reversal Program alumni community for continued support.
What is different about it?
What proof is there that the Ornish approach can reverse my heart disease?
Why should someone participate when a bypass or angioplasty offers a faster solution?
The Ornish Reversal Program is basically common sense- why can’t a person just do this on their own?
Why should you make the commitment?
The simplest answer is because you will experience amazing results. The Ornish approach may help you:
- Reduce the number of medications you put into your body. While medications can be helpful, long term use may have a negative impact on your body.
- Experience delicious heart-healthy, plant based meals and discover how to prepare them at home.
- Move naturally and build up to eventual moderate aerobic activity. The health benefits of exercise are many from stress reduction to lowering blood pressure – all of which make for a healthier heart and arteries.
- Receive support from others who are going through a similar experience. When you have a support system of those with similar experiences, you are likely to not only be happier from making the social connections, but you also will create lifetime bonds.
What must participants do?
How soon could I feel the health benefits of the Ornish Reversal Program?
Heart disease runs in my family. Can the Ornish Reversal Program really work for me?
Will I be able to stick with the program?
Is the program more effective for certain kinds of patients?
Will I still see my regular doctor?
How long is the program?
How big is each group that goes through the program?
How much will this cost me?
To determine whether or not the Ornish program is a covered benefit of your HMSA HMO, PPO, Advantage, Medicare, or other qualifying insurance plan, please contact our support specialists at 808-777-4001. Below are examples of estimated co-payments with qualifying insurance plans. The Ornish program consists of 18 4 hour sessions:
HMSA HMO & PPO:
- HMO: $20 co-pay per 4hr session (includes a meal)
- PPO: $30 co-pay per 4hr session (includes a meal)
*PPO plans have a higher copayment as they are subject to Hawaii State Tax.
HMSA Medicare Advantage:
- $20 co-pay per 4hr session (includes a meal)
HMSA Fed 87:
- no copayment per 4hr session (includes a meal)
- 20% copayment per 4hr session (includes a meal)
UHA, HMA, United Healthcare, or other insurance provider:
- Please contact us to determine if the Ornish program is a covered benefit of your insurance provider.
Am I eligible for the program?
How do I sign up?
Do I need a physician referral?
- Ornish D, for the Multicenter Lifestyle Demonstration Project Research Group. Avoiding revascularization with lifestyle changes: the multicenter lifestyle demonstration project. Am J Cardiol. 1998;82:72T-76T.
- Ornish D, Magbanua MJ, Weidner G, et al. Changes in prostate gene expression in men undergoing an intensive nutrition and lifestyle intervention. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:8369-8374.
- 2011 Outcome data managed by Highmark Inc.
- Silberman A, Banthia R, Estay I, et al. The effectiveness and efficacy of an intensive cardiac rehabilitation program in 24 sites. Am J Health Promot. 2010;4:260-266.