Do you know someone who needs this program?
Here’s how it works…
Groups of up to 15 participants will attend 18 four-hour sessions over 9 weeks. Each session covers the following four elements:
Supervised aerobic exercise and strength training with telemetry monitoring
Learn a range of techniques to relax, release stress, and react in healthier ways
Give and receive emotional support to help unlock the healing power of community
Enjoy and discover nourishing, delicious, plant-based meals
Dr. Ornish’s 37 years of research has scientifically proven that the integrative lifestyle changes he recommends can:
- improve chronic conditions – such as heart disease, diabetes and prostate cancer
- change gene expression, turning on health-promoting genes & turning off disease-promoting genes.
- lengthen telomeres — the ends of chromosomes — which begins to reverse aging on a cellular level.
Does my insurance cover the program? Call: 808.777.4001
Join us for our next Open House every first & third Wednesday of the month from 5-7pm!
‘Ekahi Ornish Lifesyle Medicine is centrally located at our comprehensive health care and prevention facility.
- Centrally located in Kaka’ako
- Validated Parking Garage
- Brand new, gorgeous facility
500 Ala Moana Blvd, Suite 6-D
Honolulu, HI 96813-4920
Join us for our next Open House! Call: 808.777.4001
Frequently Asked Questions
It’s a program of comprehensive lifestyle changes scientifically proven to reverse heart disease without drugs or surgery.1
The Ornish Reversal Program has four elements: • Improved physical conditioning through low-impact aerobic exercise and strength training; • Relaxation techniques to help cope with and manage stress; • A low-fat, whole foods nutrition plan (less than 10% of daily calories from fat); and • Social support to enable participants to deal with the emotional issues that contribute to or result from heart disease. Participants learn to use these tools during an intensive 9-week Program. Following the initial 9-week program, participants will join the Ornish Reversal Program alumni community for continued support.
Unlike medications and invasive procedures, this program deals with the root causes of your heart disease and not just its effects.
More than 30 years of scientific research conducted by leading academic institutions using state-of-the-art measures showed that this program can often reverse the progression of even severe coronary heart disease. These studies were published in leading peer-reviewed medical journals, including the Journal of the American Medical Association, The Lancet, American Journal of Cardiology, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, and others.
A bypass or angioplasty is not an experience that people willingly undergo if there is a better alternative available. Secondly, in addition to the risks inherent in any surgical procedure, a bypass or angioplasty does not treat the underlying risk factors associated with heart disease — a diet high in fat, a sedentary lifestyle, or social isolation. If these root causes are not addressed, there is a significant chance that a bypass or angioplasty may turn out to be only a temporary solution. In fact, studies show that up to 50 percent of bypass recipients must undergo an additional bypass in five to seven years, while 30 to 50 percent of angioplasty recipients must repeat the procedure within six months. For people who are committed to changing their lives for the better and taking an active role in managing their own health, the Ornish Reversal Program can be the best decision they will ever make.
The Ornish Reversal Program is basically common sense- why can’t a person just do this on their own?
True, the Ornish Reversal Program relies on advice that physicians will tell their patients—lower your fat intake, exercise, learn how to relax, and avoid stress. However, only the Ornish Reversal Program shows people how to make the comprehensive lifestyle changes required to bring this advice to their lives and make it work, day-in and day-out. The program teaches participants how to adhere to a diet that cuts fat intake, to exercise in ways that build strength and stamina without overtaxing them physically, to relax through specialized techniques, and to recognize and defuse stress. The Ornish team is truly the heart of the program as they offer support.
The simplest answer is because you will experience amazing results. The Ornish approach may help you:
- Reduce the number of medications you put into your body. While medications can be helpful, long term use may have a negative impact on your body.
- Experience delicious heart-healthy, plant based meals and discover how to prepare them at home.
- Move naturally and build up to eventual moderate aerobic activity. The health benefits of exercise are many from stress reduction to lowering blood pressure – all of which make for a healthier heart and arteries.
- Receive support from others who are going through a similar experience. When you have a support system of those with similar experiences, you are likely to not only be happier from making the social connections, but you also will create lifetime bonds.
Participants should follow the Ornish Reversal Program in its entirety. More importantly, they should be willing to commit to a permanent change in lifestyle-an new eating style, regular exercise, and often a change in their outlook—succeed. The Ornish Reversal Program gives participants the knowledge and encouragement to put their commitment into action and adopt a lifestyle that can change their lives for the better.
Many people report feeling better just days after beginning the Ornish Reversal Program and soon notice their ability to get back to doing the things they love to do. Research shows that by sticking with the program participants can reduce their risk of a heart attack and the need for serious interventions like bypass surgery.
Fortunately, your genes are not your fate. Dr. Ornish and his colleagues found that over 500 genes were changed when people went through his program, “turning on” disease-preventing genes and “turning off” genes that promote heart disease, type 2 diabetes, and the most common forms of cancer.2
Yes. 87.9% of people who began the 72-hour program were still following it and healing their hearts a year later.3
The Ornish Reversal Program works for most patients with coronary heart disease. In general, the more people changed their lifestyle, the more they improved and the better they felt.4
Yes. Your doctor remains in charge of your care, including your medications. Program staff regularly communicates with your doctor so that you have a whole team working together for your care.
9 weeks long, 18 sessions, 2 sessions per week, each session is 4 hours sessions focused on comprehensive lifestyle changes in 4 equally weighted elements (1hr in each element): personalized nutrition, exercise, group support and stress management.
Participants experience the program within a small consistent group, called a cohort (max of 15 people per cohort) who all have the common goal of reversing their heart disease and improving their well-being.
HMSA commercial plans PPO & HMO:
- covered benefit, $20 co-pay per 4hr session (includes a meal)
HMSA Medicare Advantage
- covered benefit, $20 co-pay per 4hr session (includes a meal)
HMSA Fed 87:
- covered benefit, no copayment per 4hr session (includes a meal)
- covered benefit, 20% copayment per 4hr session (includes a meal)
Call us at (808) 777-4001 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Our team will be able to answer any questions you may have and work with you & your primary care provider to see if this program is right for you.
A physician referral is not always needed, but our preference is to include your physician that is managing your care. Often times, participants see dramatic results that require modification of their medications and care plan. Therefore, we prefer to keep your physician informed and a part of this transformative program. Our team can reach out to your provider to describe the program and see if it is a right fit for you.
- Ornish D, for the Multicenter Lifestyle Demonstration Project Research Group. Avoiding revascularization with lifestyle changes: the multicenter lifestyle demonstration project. Am J Cardiol. 1998;82:72T-76T.
- Ornish D, Magbanua MJ, Weidner G, et al. Changes in prostate gene expression in men undergoing an intensive nutrition and lifestyle intervention. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:8369-8374.
- 2011 Outcome data managed by Highmark Inc.
- Silberman A, Banthia R, Estay I, et al. The effectiveness and efficacy of an intensive cardiac rehabilitation program in 24 sites. Am J Health Promot. 2010;4:260-266.